Tuesday, July 8, 2008

No-fuss Margarita Cake

Had baked this simple no-fuss cake a while ago, since I wanted to try out cakes other than chocolate cakes and also because I like simple flavoured cakes. I had made this small cake in my 5 inch cake tin, and my hubby liked it soo much, that he again pestered me into baking a big one after 3 days. Since we were leaving on a biking trip with a few friends early the next morning, I forgot to take pics of the big square cake - but since I'd packed it for the trip, everybody enjoyed it immensely:)

I followed the recipe from here - though I took all 1/3rd of the measurements listed. Also my cup reference was 180 ml, instead of the usual 250 ml since I used a small egg. For the glaze, I omitted the tequilla and did not cook the glaze much the 1st time. For the bigger cake, I cooked the sugar mixture till it turned quite thick and gooey, but somehow though it looked very nice on the cake, yet biting into it was slightly messy, since the glaze would stick to the teeth:( Next time, I will not overcook the glaze, but leave it slightly runny.
The cake came out very soft and delicately flavoured..my hubby simply loved the idea of grating lime rind/zest into the cake batter:) Also, I had no trouble taking out the cake from the caketin. Overall, this was a great recipe to try - simple, non-messy, quick and delicate lemony flavoured:)

6 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

I love simple cakes too - the simpler the more tasty! I can imagine that it was enjoyed by all!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

whoisneha said...

thanks for adding me to the Foodie Blogroll and for checking out my new blog:)

yeah - this was one of the simplest cakes I'd baked as yet

Katie said...

Yum sounds good! :)

Denise Clarke said...

Margarita cake ... what's not to love about that?

Denise
http://www.WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com

CookiePie said...

I love the sound of a margarita cake! Perfect for summer.

whoisneha said...

thanks katie..yes the cake was really yumm!!:)
denise..i simply loved ur blog:) especially houdini (reminds me of my childhood doggy) - alas, good wine is something which is not very popular and easily available here in India.
yeah cookiepie..i plan to bake this cake quite a bit over this long summer:)