Thursday, July 3, 2008

Banana Chocolate Cake

I am not too fond of bananas, but my hubby always assures me that he simply adores them. So whenever I feel like indulging him ;), I buy a few bananas for him. As it so happens, he has never ever (in our 7 months of marriage) finished off all the bananas - which means that I've to see atleast a couple rot before my own eyes. So when I was reading this blogpost by "happyhomebaker" as a great way to use up over-ripe bananas, I simply shouted out with joy:) You see - there were again a couple of these over-ripe bananas sitting on my 'fridge top, which I knew none of us would eat, and I simply HATE having to throw away good food stuff. So I promptly set about to bake this cake - and I must say, that I was simply thrilled with the outcome. Firstly, it was soo simple to prepare the batter (unlike a few cakes - this required only one big mixing bowl) and since I dont have a food processor or blender, the batter required only brisk whisking with hand. Also, the cake came out soft and moist (am not too fond of dry cakes). I had substituted 2 tbsp of dark cocoa powder for the flour, and used demerra sugar (dark brown sugar), because of which my cake turned out dark brown in colour, with a nice subtle chocolaty flavour, masked by the distinct banana flavour. Since I did not have spare bananas to decorate on the cake-top, I sprinkled some icing sugar after turning it out. I think the outcome is pretty good (though the cake had cracked a bit on top) - do not go with my pics - am not a very good food photographer:(
I think this cake will go down very well with kids or as a coffee cake. You can increase the cocoa powder quantity, if you want a more chocolaty flavor:) Happy Baking!!

2 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, what a great idea to add in cocoa powder in the banana cake! I'm sure it tastes delicious :)

whoisneha said...

Hi! yeah - it did taste very good:) thanks for visiting my new blog. I must say that your blog has been the inspiration behind it