Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Muesli Cookies

I am not much of a muesli fan...but had two big jars lying unutilized from when I had bought them during my pregnancy time. So one day, I decided to bake simple and healthy cookies with them...so that I can carry them as a snack everyday when I leave for work.

The 1st time that I was baking these cookies, I was very sceptical. While hunting on the blogosphere for a doable recipe, my only intention was to finish off the muesli!! I found plenty of muesli cookie recipes, all most of them seemed quite simple with tasty and healthy outputs. I modified my recipe based on what was available - i hope I am remember all the ingredients:)

Ingredients (to make 16 cookies)
1 cup muesli (untoasted)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (i use powdered jaggery)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins/black currants (i use a mixture of both)
50 gm butter
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp baking soda

Method:
1. Lightly grease your mini muffin paper cups/cookie liners or baking trays
2. Mix all the muesli, flour, sugar, coconut and raisins well in a big mixing bowl
3. In a saucepan, melt the butter on low heat (take care not to boil it or overheat it). Add the honey and baking soda in it. It will froth nicely.
4. Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in it. Mix it lightly with a fork so that everything sticks together
5. Make small balls of the dough and press it down in the paper liners. Bale in a pre-heated oven for 10-15 mins at 175 C.
6. The cookies will get a nice golden color and the smell of butter and dry fruits will waft in the air. Take out the cookies to cool...after which they will be crunchy to eat.
These stay good for 4-5 days.

2

No comments: