Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chocolate Christmas Cake



I made this Christmas cake with a twist (Yes! It has chocolate in it:) during New Year break. Though I enjoy watching Nigella's shoes on the telly, but I have never really tried out any of her recipes. Hubby has placed an order for a fruity rummy christmas cake well in advance, so I decided not to disappoint him and baked her famous Choco X'mas cake for New Year's. I did not follow her recipe to the T, but have tweaked based on preference and availability. The result was soo amazing that I still can't believe that I had myself baked the cake in my puny oven:)



I found the recipe from here after reading praises on her website as well as other blogs. The only changes I made were in the ingredients: Nigella has specified prunes, raisins and currants as the dried fruits for the cake. I used chopped almonds, cashews, cherries, dates, raisins and currants (keeping the same total quantity). Since I did not find any coffee liqeour in the market, instead I used dark rum and soaked the chopped fruits overnight.



The aroma when the cake was baking was simply overwhelming...therapeutic should describe it aptly:)

So this cake was not just a traditional christmas cake, but also healthy and tasty...also not very difficult to bake. Just remember to plan well in advance so that all the ingredients are with you.


Happy Baking!!

No comments: